Welcome to Amanda's Blog!

Monday, April 16, 2007

cheap tickets... score!

Last night we had our culture night for the Malawi and Uganda teams! We did an activity where we examined our own background and learned that we can't really make an assumptions about where people come from. We also talked about how each person has a unique story and how ridiculous it is to assume we are all the same. This is all a common theme in my major so I hear it often but it's so sweet to talk about it in a spiritual context!
We ate a bunch of Malawian and Ugandan food to prepare ourselves. I think I'll survive. Ruby says the first couple weeks will the hardest in regards to food becuase every new person we meet will want to cook for us. Corrie Klekowski says all the food made by the locals will have "bone chips" in it. lovely. There was a pretty good peanut soup thing that i mixed rice and black beans into. It turned out pretty good! I was very happy to see that cheese sandwiches (white bread and a kraft single) and fruit salad (mangos, bananas, and apples) were Malawian! Apparently though the interns generally cook for themselves.... this is good news for my digestive system! I am a little worried about continual headaches from the amount of onion and pepper that was in each dish but that's survivable!
My team dropped from 12 members to 9. The size feels more managable and actually I'm stoked becuase that means more intimate friendships! Woo! Ruby is doing an awesome job with keeping all the logistic stuff in line. I'm so glad she'll be there with us!
Oh! Cheap tickets... go figure I got distracted... focus amanda... Flood was able to get our plane tickets for about 600 or 700 less than expected which means the total amount I need to raise is lower! Ruby will get us a more accurate number but Im guessing I only need to raise about 1500 more! Awesome! Thanks again to everyone who has already given! I'll keep you updated and I'm be working on those thank you's!
I'm sitting at our condo waiting for my new computer to come! Horray! I'm going to go and work on graduation announcments, party invitations and thank you notes!
Thanks again for being such a blessing in my life and for your support! I can feel it!

No comments: