Welcome to Amanda's Blog!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

home sweet, northern hemisphere

Im home! Although Africa was amazing and my summer was divinely appointed it is so good to be home! The travel was smooth- long but smooth. I thought my jet lag wasnt too bad but I ended up awake last night until 3am. I'm feeling fine however. We arrived in what seemed to be the most humid place on the planet, sunny Southern California at about 1:30 pm yesterday. All our luggage went through and we met our rides promptly after we all sailed through customs. My teammates date drove us to North County where two of my fantastic roommates and best friends, Kara and Brittni, met me. I was appalled at their completely normal summer San Diego attire and felt completely embarrassed looking at them. None the less I was stoked to see them. They received me well and we started our short trek home. It was so good to be with them again. They told me stories about the two of them and our third roommate, Sarah, moving into our new house. They laughed at me saying, "you're like a foreigner", as I got excited to hear really old songs on the radio and stared out the window like I'd never been to San Diego. Kara had been preparing for me all day she said... she got my car washed, made welcome home amanda cupcakes and bought me a selection of cereal and fat free milk (the milk and cereal was upon request... my most missed food item). What good friends I have!
Our new house is just as beautiful as I remembered! The only sad news is our spa doesnt work yet but an electrician is coming... don't you worry ;) haha. My roommates promptly showed me "our Mexican place", Niko's... you can see it from my bedroom window. It's maybe two blocks away. Wonderful! For dinner I had half of a Niko's bean cheese and rice burrito and a bowl of lucky charms... mmmm. I was home. hahaha. Then I got to work unpacking my room- one of my favorite activities. The girls have lived here for over a month but my stuff was never unpacked from the move. My room is a bright, cheery, light blue almost aqua. It looks like water... one of the things I missed in Malawi, the ocean. I cant wait to finish decorating, doing laundry and having everything clean and in its place. Oh how I have missed order and cleanliness in my life haha.
After multipule phone calls and emailing I fell asleep at about 3 am. I awoke to a lazy morning at about 9 am and here I am 20 minutes later... still in bed, blogging. Ill start my day soon I have tons of laundry to do and errands to run. Oh! Good news! My mom said I got 100% and 90% on my RCW2 and Social Worker 2 applications and that Im on the hire list for both of them. I think Ill call the county later today to get those balls rolling. Keep your fingers crossed for the Social Work position but we'll see where God leads me.
Thanks for all of your prayers and support! Ill keep blogging as I process the experiences God has given me this summer.

2 comments:

Kate-y said...

I can't believe you're home now! Time flies, eh? Are you in SD or Sac Town?

Amanda said...

im in san diego! give me a call when you get a chance (im not doing anyhing haha) and well catch up!