Welcome to Amanda's Blog!

Friday, June 15, 2007

a great end and a better beginning

As is the story of my life- I moved... again. Sarah and I are staying at our good friend Mailes for the end of June and the beginning of July. Sarah, Kara, Brittni and I start renting at our new house July 15th! Horray! Two GREAT friends Mark and Tyrone will move my stuff while I'm in Africa so I can come home to my own house! Thanks boys! ... er big strong men.
Tomorrow is my last day of work at Polinsky as a student worker (an important distinction because I applied to work the same job in a different position when I get back from Africa). I turned in my uniform and my key. The women in my cottage (and Mr. Steve) threw me a pot luck during our monthly staff meeting today. There are some of the most inclusive and loving women I've ever met. I have absolutely loved working with them and I will miss them greatly! Because the women are all from different countries we had quite the collection of food! It just geared me up for new African foods! From the pot luck I brought home a sticky rice/seafood (i think...)/chicken/sweet raisin dish thing miss melen made (she's from the Phillipines), a Philippino fruit dessert/coconut milk thing miss loida made, a tamale from miss consuelo and a homemade dessert tamale (pineapple) from miss myrna, an overnight staff. So fun! Polinsky has given awesome experience in the system, gave me a more realistic view of the world, given me endless people skills and allowed me to give my heart to countless children. I totally appreciate my time there!
The countdown for africa is t minus one week... or something like that. I leave a week from today on June 22nd at 11pm out of LA. After I finish at Polinsky I have 5 days to get ready (packing, planning, errands, prayer and thought). I'm stoked to have a little down time!
Amy, my sister in law gets back in the states tomorrow! I'm excited to hear about her trip!
I'm headed to bed (a common activity after blogging) because we have a support breakfast for the team in the morning and then I work from 2-10. I'm enjoying living with Maile, trying to see as many people as I can and attempting to prepare for who knows what!
OH! And... great news! I have reached my support goal! My friend Curt called to see if he could help me out with my trip and his contribution will complete my payments! Thanks for all your support! I love you guys!

No comments: